Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.8.0-rc0

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:46:42 -0800

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Git 2.8 Release Notes (draft)
>> =============================
>>
>> Backward compatibility note
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> The rsync:// transport has been removed.
>
> We may want to add something about untracked cache changes here, maybe
> something like:
>
>     The untracked cache subsystem has been updated and its primary UI
> has been changed
>     from "git update-index" to "git config" with some small backward
> incompatibilities.

I seriously hope we do not have to do that, and you do too.

The section is about "We deliberately did something that breaks your
expectation", "You may have been assuming that X would be a good way
to achieve Y, but X no longer will serve that purpose".  The latter
can be optionally followed by "To do Y, you now can do W instead",
but it still is breaking the established way of using Git.

I did not think your untracked update was done in such a way to
"break" existing uses (if it is not the case and breaks existing
uses, it needs to be fixed, but I think we made sure it will keep
working the same way for those who do not explicitly set
configuration to adopt the new behaviour).