Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] connect.c: Improve parsing of literal IPV6 addresses

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:40:07 -0800

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 11:05:29PM +0100, Torsten Bögershausen wrote:
>>We want to support ssh://bmc@2001:470:1f05:79::1/git/bmc/homedir.git/
>>   because e.g. the Git shipped with Debian (1.7.10.4) (and a lot of
>> other installations) supports it.
>
> I understand that this used to work, but it probably shouldn't have
> ever been accepted.  It's nonstandard, and if we accept it for ssh,
> people will want it to work for https, and due to libcurl, it simply
> won't.
>
> I prefer to see our past acceptance of this format as a bug.  This is
> the first that I've heard of anyone noticing this (since 2013), so it
> can't be in common usage.
>
> If we accept it, we should explicitly document it as being deprecated
> and note that it's inconsistent with the way everything else works.

I was reviewing my Undecided pile today, and I think your objection
makes sense.

Either of you care to update documentation, please, before I drop
this series and forget about it?

Thanks.