Subject: Re: Is there some way to suppress Cc email only to stable?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:17:05 -0800

"Paul E. McKenney" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 12:57:11PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> No, I do not think we have a way to blacklist certain recipient
>> addresses from getting passed to the MTA, and I do not object to
>> addition of such a mechanism if there is a valid need to do so.
>> 
>> It feels a bit too convoluted to say "Cc: to this address" in the
>> log message and then "nonono, I do not want to send there", though.
>> Why do you want to have Cc: in the log message if you do not want to
>> send e-mail to that address in the first place?  Allowing the
>> behaviour you are asking for would mean that those who see that the
>> commit appeared on a branch would not be able to assume that the
>> patch has already been sent to the stable review address, no?
>
> I could see where it might seem a bit strange.  ;-)
>
> The reason behind this is that you are not supposed to actually send
> email to the stable lists until after the patch has been accepted into
> mainline.  One way to make this work is of course to leave the stable
> Cc tags out of the commit log, and to manually send an email when the
> commit has been accepted.  However, this is subject to human error,
> and more specifically in this case, -my- human error.
>
> Hence the desire to have a Cc that doesn't actually send any email,
> but that is visible in mainline for the benefit of the scripts that
> handle the stable workflow.

So a configuration variable that you can set once and forget, e.g.

    [sendemail]
	blacklistedRecipients = [email-masked]

would not cut it, as you would _later_ want to send the e-mail once
the commit hits the mainline.  Am I reading you correctly?

Or is it that nobody actually sends to [email-masked] address
manually, but some automated process scans new commits that hit the
mainline and the string "Cc: [email-masked]" is used as a cue
for that process to pick them up?