Subject: Re: [PATCH] t5705: Use the correct file:// URL

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:37:48 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 08:36:07AM +0100, Torsten Bögershausen wrote:
>
>> A URL like file;//. is (no longer) supported by Git:
>> Typically there is no host, and RFC1738 says that file:///<path>
>> should be used.
>> 
>> Update t5705 to use a working URL.
>
> Interesting. This looks like it was unintentionally lost in c59ab2e
> (connect.c: refactor url parsing, 2013-11-28). Given RFC1738, and that
> this is the first notice of it (and that it is not even a real use case,
> but something questionable in the test script), it's probably OK to
> declare the syntax dead and not treat it like a regression.

Yeah, I tend to agree.  I do not think there is any <scheme>:// that
lets you say things relative to something that is not "root" of the
namespace, and it was a bug the old test depended on that we did not
notice it as an error when "file://." tried to refer to "the current
directory".