Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] gitk: write only changed configuration variables

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:19:56 -0700

Max Kirillov <[email-masked]> writes:

> If a variable is changed in a concurrent gitk or manually it is
> preserved unless it has changed in this instance

It would have been easier to understand why this is a desirable
change if you stated what problem you are trying to solve before
that sentence.  "If I do X, Y happens, which is bad for reason Z.
With this change, Y no longer happens as long as I do not do W."

> This change does not affect geometry and views save; geometry does not
> need it, and views need special merging, which treats each view
> separately rather that fully replace the shole list.

s/sh/wh/ I presume?

>
> Signed-off-by: Max Kirillov <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  gitk | 41 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
>  1 file changed, 33 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/gitk b/gitk
> index 6069afe..6e22024 100755
> --- a/gitk
> +++ b/gitk
> @@ -2804,12 +2804,25 @@ proc doprogupdate {} {
>      }
>  }
>  
> +proc config_variable_change_cb {name name2 op} {
> +    global config_variable_changed
> +    if {$op eq "write"} {
> +	set config_variable_changed($name) 1
> +    }
> +}

Hmm, wouldn't it make more sense to save the original value where
you set up the variable trace, and make the savestuff procedure do a
3-way merge?  That way, when you and the other party changed a
variable to a different value, you can give a better diagnosis to
the user to know what is going on. If both of you changed to the
same value, then the end result would be the same, of course.