Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] t3404 incremental improvements

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:02:24 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> This set of patches was meant to be a re-roll of [1] addressing Junio's
>>> comments, however [1] graduated to 'next' before I found time to work on
>>> it further, so these are instead incremental patches atop 'next'.
>>
>> Just FYI, 'next' will be rewound once the upcoming release is done,
>> so we have a chance to rewind and squash.
>
> How would we go about this? Is there something I can do to streamline
> the squashing?
>
> Unfortunately, the various fix-up patches do not have a one-to-one
> correspondence to the original three patches in 'next'.

The most stream-lined way would be to send a replacement series
early next week, by which time hopefully the 1.8.4 final is out; as
long as the end-results of applying the series are the same, we know
that the new code we will be using is the same as the code already
in 'next' that people have been testing.

That way, there is no risk of me screwing up while trying to wiggle
the existing patches and ending up with a split that do not match a
logical progression of the series you would expect to see.