Subject: Re: [PATCH] rebase: ignore non-branch update-refs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2026 08:37:23 +0900

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Your long topic branch may have local unannotated tags that point
>> into the middle of it, marking strategic points in the topic.
>> 
>> With this change, the command no longer moves them when it rebases
>> the entire topic.  Isn't it a regression?
>
> sequencer.c:todo_list_add_update_ref_commands() calls 
> load_branch_decorations() so it does not update tags and the patch is 
> correct.

OK.  And with "%d", the existing versions of Git would have produced
something like

    pick 31e8fcabd8 # rebase: update-refs (HEAD -> rebase, tag: mark)
    update-ref HEAD
    update-ref refs/heads/rebase
    update-ref refs/tags/mark

it would have failed to work due to the "HEAD" thing, so even though
existing versions of Git may have added such local tags to the insn
sequence, it would not have been a workable configuration anyway.

OK.  If we never supported such a workflow to use local tags as
markers, then the strategy taken by the posted patch to limit us to
local branch refs is a very good thing, I think.