Subject: Re: [PATCH] hook: make stdout_to_stderr optional

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2026 07:22:20 -0800

Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2026, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> What was the previous behaviour of code paths that ran other hooks?
>>> Was pre-push the only one that didn't divert standard output to
>>> standard error?  This patch does look like a proper regression fix
>>> in that case.  I browsed "git log -p 1627809eef..c65f26fca4" (i.e.,
>>> the change for "Merge branch 'ar/run-command-hook'") and random
>>> sampling (like run_receive_hook() that used run_and_feed_hook(),
>>> which set stdout_to_stderr to 1) seems to indicate that it is the
>>> case.
>>
>> By the way, if stdout_to_stderr is by default set to true, but tnis
>> regression fix allows specific callers to opt out of it, then the
>> title "make stdout_to_stderr optional" is a bit misleaing.  It makes
>> it sound as if it is false by default and optionally turned on.
>>
>> Perhaps like "hook: allow stdout_to_stderr optionally off" or
>> something?
>
> Ack. Will rename in v2.
>
> Please wait for v2 because, while writing the tests, I noticed pre-push
> needs 1 additional line (ungroup output) to function as before.

Understood.  Thanks.

Writing these tests would take particular care, I imagine.  Apply
the test to the tip of the 'master' before ar/run-commmand-hook was
merged, to verify that the tests expect the behaviour before these
series, and then merge the result up in more recent 'master' to see
that the changes in ar/run-commmand-hook did not negatively change
the behaviour, or something like that?

Thanks for working on the fix and the tests.