Subject: Re: [GSOC PATCH v6 0/3] environment: remove sparse-checkout related global variables

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2025 07:15:20 -0700

Ayush Chandekar <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It may be good to separate the two things into different steps:
>>
>>   1. Move the globals into the repository struct, but only set
>>      or read from the_repository->sparse_checkout[_cone].
>>
>>   2. Replace the use of the_repository and instead refer to a
>>      specific repo. This may change behavior of the feature in
>>      the presence of submodules with different config than the
>>      root repo (tests before and after will be necessary).
>>      We'll also need to update the_repository during the very
>>      early config parsing but then update other repos during
>>      repo initialization.
>>
>> Does this make sense based on your progress in this space?
>
> Yes, I was able to do the first step, the second step means that I
> have to pass the repo struct to quite a few functions.

Ayush, what's the status of this effort?

Currently a topic by Derrick is built on top of this one, which
means it is stuck waiting for this topic to stabilize.  Should we
ask Derrick to rebuild his topic independent from this topic and let
it graduate sooner, and when you reroll this series, you'd base
yours on top of whatever the Git codebase looks like when it
happens?

Thanks.