Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 4/4] midx: return a `packed_git` pointer from `prepare_midx_pack()`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2025 16:25:17 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, May 30, 2025 at 02:50:34AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
>> ...
>> Is this note still valid for v2? It looks like patch 1 adds
>> nth_midxed_pack_name() and tries to use it everywhere.
>
> Yeah, we should get rid of this. I had written it before I wrote what is
> now the first patch in this series, and neglected to remove it before
> sending out the latest round.
> ...
>> I'd have thought we could call it nth_midxed_pack(), but that seems to
>> exist already, with the caveat that it never prepares the pack, but only
>> serves what's in the cache. I wonder if we could simply replace that
>> with what prepare_midx_pack() does, but it may be more conservative to
>> leave the two separate. So I guess nth_midxed_pack_load() or something.
>
> In general there aren't a ton of in-flight changes in the MIDX code at
> any given time, so I think we could get away without renaming it. But I
> don't mind erring on the side of caution here, either.

The topic went dark after this message.  Are there still unresolved
issues, or do we want to get it unstuck?

Thanks.