Subject: Re: Bug report - Apple git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 14:43:27 -0800

"D. Ben Knoble" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> What happened instead? (Actual behavior)
>> Didn't get a diff output. Got the following error instead:
>> "fatal: --merge-base only works with commits"
>> ...
> A shorter workaround is probably "git diff --merge-base
> <your-tag>^{commit} HEAD" (this is the "peeling" that Kristoffer
> references)

Thanks.  

    $ git log -S'only works with commits' ':!po/'

finds 4adceb5a (diff: fix --merge-base with annotated tags,
2023-10-01), which is v2.43.0-rc0~36^2 and v2.43 is from Nov 2023,
so this seems to be a rather ancient bug that has been already fixed
in our codebase.

The reason why I started writing this message is a bit offtopic (and
that is why Jiang is CC'ed).  We do still have that string in our
"codebase" but in po/

    $ git grep -c 'only works with commits' po/
    po/es.po:1
    po/pl.po:1
    po/pt_PT.po:1
    po/ru.po:1

I suspect there may be other strings and translations that are no
longer in use.  

Are they something we can easily remove mechanically, and if so
should we?

Thanks.