Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/3] sequencer: comment `--reference` subject line properly

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2024 08:00:56 +0900

[email-masked] writes:

>> I guess this fails by leaving the "# *** SAY WHY" in the resulting
>> message, because the stripspace wants to see '%' to start commented
>> out lines to be stripped?  If we inspect with this test what the
>> temporary file we give to the editor looks like to make sure that
>> '%' is used for commenting, that would be a more direct test, but
>> without going that far, at least can we have a comment describing
>> how this is expected to fail without the fix?
>
> For me something like
>
> 	GIT_EDITOR="cat >actual" git -c core.commentChar=% revert \
> 		--edit --reference HEAD &&
> 	test_grep "^% \*\*\* SAY WHY WE ARE REVERTING THE COMMIT \*\*\*" \
> 		  actual
>
> Would be a more convincing test as it actually checks that the user sees
> the line that we expect strbuf_stripspace() to remove from the final
> message.

Yes, it is a more direct test.  If we did that, that would of course
be preferrable.

Thanks.