Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] chainlint: make error messages self-explanatory

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2024 11:41:08 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> How about this?
>
>     The "?!LOOP?!" case is particularly serious because that terse
>     single word does nothing to convey that the loop body should end
>     with "|| return 1" (or "|| exit 1" in a subshell) to ensure that a
>     failing command in the body aborts the loop immediately, which is
>     important since a shell loop does not automatically terminate when
>     an error occurs within its body. Moreover, unlike &&-chaining
>     which is ubiquitous in Git tests, the "|| return 1" idiom is
>     relatively infrequent, thus may be harder for a newcomer to
>     discover by consulting nearby code.

Strike ", which is important since .*\ its body." and the above
reads perfect.

>> > -# name and the test body with a `?!FOO?!` annotation at the location of each
>> > +# name and the test body with a `?!ERR?!` annotation at the location of each
>> >  # detected problem, where "FOO" is a tag such as "AMP" which indicates a broken
>>
>> "FOO" -> "ERR"?
>
> Yep. Sharp eyes.

OK.  I'll mark the topic to be expecting a reroll for these small
messaging plus "ERR" -> "ERR:" but without other larger changes
mentioned in the thread.

Thanks.