Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] docs: explain the order of output in the batched mode of git-cat-file(1)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 08:07:14 -0700

Ahmed Akef <[email-masked]> writes:

Administrivia: please do not break the discussion thread by dropping
In-Reply-To: and / or References: headers.  For those who are
following from sidelines, this is a reponse to

    https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

>> * "as they have been read from stdin"; drop "from stdin" here, as
>>   we already know we are talking about the mode that reads object
>>   names from the standard input and there is no need to repeat it.
>
> it is needed to explain that git will not do any optimization to the
> order of paths
> before printing the output.

I do not think "from stdin" is necessary for that.  The sentence
begins ...

>  If `--batch` or `--batch-check` is given, `cat-file` will read objects
> +from stdin, one per line, and print information about them in the same
> +order as they have been read from stdin. By default, the whole line is
> +considered as an object, as if it were fed to linkgit:git-rev-parse[1].

... by explaining that the command reads from the standard input, and
does something to each in the same order as they were read.  If you
already said you are reading from the standard input, the order you
read them is the order youread them from the standard input.

Drop the "from stdin" from "as they have been read from stdin".