Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 5/8] git-prompt: add some missing quotes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2024 12:15:50 -0700

avih <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Well no matter what value $? has, it by definition has a few digits
>> without any $IFS funnies.  Does this really matter?  I'd imagine
>> that we would prefer to treat "$?" exactly the same way as "no".
> ...
> Two things here:
>
> 1. It can matter, because we don't control IFS. __git_ps1 is
>    a function which runs in the user's shell, so if the user did
>    IFS=0123, then unquoted $? or $exit can get IFS-split.

Fair enough.  My "we would prefer to treat $? exactly the same way
as no" still stands.  If the user did IFS=o, "no" would be broken.

>    As the commit message notes, this is unlikely to fix things in
>    practice, but it will fix things with weird IFS values.

Yes, so I'd prefer to see us being consistent.  If we quote "$?" to
protect ourselves from crazy folks who set insane values to $IFS, we
should quote "no" the same way, no?