Subject: Re: [PATCH v5] http: do not ignore proxy path

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2024 10:10:49 -0700

Ryan Hendrickson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hmm. I'd be inclined to take the preliminary clean-up approach, but
> some of the existing strings (there are also two "Unsupported
> ..."/"Supported ..." strings near the "Could not set..."s) are going
> through gettext, and I'm reluctant to interfere with the l10n process.

I do not see what you mean by interfering with the localization.

If we are updating text to be translated anyway, giving translators
the strings that need to be translated _earlier_ rather than later
would be more helpful to them, no?

>> If I were writing this, I would shorten to look for a bit fuzzier
>> pattern like
>>
>>    grep "^fatal: .* is required to support paths in proxy URLs" "$1"
>>
>> as that would allow us to fix the code later without needing to
>> update the pattern, if we discover reasons, other than being older
>> than libcURL 7.84, why paths in proxy URLs cannot be supported.
>
> Is this blocking feedback? This strikes me as speculative
> over-engineering

No, it is loosening a pattern that is overly tight and as a side
effect shortening the line to more readable length ;-).