Subject: Re: [PATCH 03/23] builtin/describe: fix memory leak with `--contains=`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 09:04:59 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2024 at 08:27:59AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
>> [Footnote]
>> 
>>  * The fact that cmd_foo() is called is not a hygiene thing to do in
>>    the first place, and in the longer term #leftoverbits we may need
>>    to refactor the thing further, into a proper library-ish reusable
>>    helper function that can be used to compute name_rev() any number
>>    of times, plus cmd_name_rev() and this caller that call it.
>
> Agreed. There have been several instances of this scattered across the
> codebase. The fix is quite ugly in my opinion, but it would be a bigger
> topic to refactor those cases properly, so I refrained from doing so as
> part of this series.

Oh, I agree that it would be a "after all the dust settles" kind of
clean-up.

Thanks.