Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] format-patch: move range/inter diff at the end of a single patch output

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 09:50:43 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yeah, that's definitely better. Whether it's preferable over having it
> after the signature separator I don't know. I personally liked that
> version better, but can totally see why others may not like it.

I do not think anybody posted a version that writes inter/range diff
ater the signature mark.

> Hm. By now I've gotten a bit indifferent, to be honest. I'm not a 100%
> sure whether it's an improvement or not, but I don't have a strong
> opinion either way.

I am not sure what two you are comparing.  The current version with
inter/range diff that is before the diffstat and the proposed one
that places inter/range diff after the main patch?  Between them, I
do have a strong preference.

Or placing the inter/range diff after the main patch, before or
after the signature mark?  As a reader of such a patch, I do not
have strong preference myself, either, but the signature mark is a
convention, established and honored for more than a few decades, to
say "no interesting contents come after this line".  I do not think
of a strong reason to go against that convention.

We certainly could use the "---" after the main patch before we add
the inter/range diff.  I had such a version but its output looked
rather ugly.  Because the inter/range diff output are designed to be
very distinct from the usual patch, I'd say something as innocuous
as an extra blank line would be a good choice.

Thanks.