Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] ci: also define CXX environment variable

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 13:37:24 -0800

Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> writes:

> In a future commit, we will build the fuzzer executables as part of the
> default 'make all' target, which requires a C++ compiler. If we do not
> explicitly set CXX, it defaults to g++ on GitHub CI. However, this can
> lead to incorrect feature detection when CC=clang, since the
> 'detect-compiler' script only looks at CC. Fix the issue by always
> setting CXX to match CC in our CI config.
>
> We only plan on building fuzzers on Linux, so none of the other CI
> configs need a similar adjustment.

Sounds fair.  It's not like we as the project decides to never build
fuzzers on macOS and will forbid others from doing so.  Those who
are not part of "we" are welcome to add support to build fuzzers on
other platforms.  So perhaps

    We only plan on building fuzzers on Linux with the next patch,
    so for now, only adjust configuration for the Linux CI jobs.

may convey our intention better to our future selves.

Thanks.