Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 7/9] SubmittingPatches: clarify GitHub visual

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:27:53 -0800

"Josh Soref via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Josh Soref <[email-masked]>
>
> GitHub has two general forms for its states, sometimes they're a simple
> colored object (e.g. green check or red x), and sometimes there's also a
> colored container (e.g. green box or red circle) with containing that
> object (e.g. check or x).
>
> That's a lot of words to try to describe things, but in general, the key
> for a failure is that it's recognized as an `x` and that it's associated
> with the color red -- the color of course is problematic for people who
> are red-green color-blind, but that's why they are paired with distinct
> shapes.
>
> Using the term `cross` doesn't really help.

I am not sure if this is accurate.  Using `x` alone does not help,
either.

I think this was raised during the review of the initial round, but
...

>  If a branch did not pass all test cases then it is marked with a red
> -cross. In that case you can click on the failing job and navigate to
> ++x+. In that case you can click on the failing job and navigate to

... it would help if we added something like ", instead of a green
checkmark" after "with a red x".  It will make the contrast with the
succeeding case stronger.  IOW, we can take advantage of the idea to
use "pair with distinct shapes and colors" ourselves.

>  "ci/run-build-and-tests.sh" and/or "ci/print-test-failures.sh". You
>  can also download "Artifacts" which are tarred (or zipped) archives
>  with test data relevant for debugging.