Subject: Re: [PATCH 04/12] setup: start tracking ref storage format when

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 10:30:28 -0800

There is a topic in-flight that introduces the .compat_hash_algo
member to the repo_fmt structure.  Seeing a conflict resolution like
the attached (there are many others that are similar in spirit), I
have to wonder if we want to add repo_set_ref_storage_format()
helper function.  There are many assignments to .ref_storage_format
member after this series is applied.

Note that I haven't read the series in full, so take the above with
a grain of salt---it might turn out to be that direct assignment is
more desirable, I dunno.

Thanks.

diff --cc setup.c
index 2f4571c12a,5038e78cdd..0000000000
--- i/setup.c
+++ w/setup.c
@@@ ...
@@@ -1584,8 -1577,8 +1595,10 @@@ const char *setup_git_directory_gently(
  		}
  		if (startup_info->have_repository) {
  			repo_set_hash_algo(the_repository, repo_fmt.hash_algo);
 +			repo_set_compat_hash_algo(the_repository,
 +						  repo_fmt.compat_hash_algo);
+ 			the_repository->ref_storage_format =
+ 				repo_fmt.ref_storage_format;
  			the_repository->repository_format_worktree_config =
  				repo_fmt.worktree_config;
  			/* take ownership of repo_fmt.partial_clone */