Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] bugreport: reject positional arguments

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:26:31 +0900

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> It is rather unfortunate that test_i18ngrep was deprecated without
> providing an alternative that offers the same debugging
> experience.

The primary thing test_i18ngrep did was to _SKIP_ certain test that
looked for an expected string in "C" locale from the output when the
tests were run under a tainted localization mode.  The tests that
looked for strings in messages that are *not* to be localized used
"grep".  Tests that (unfortunately) had to match human-readable
messages had to work around the tainted localization test to use
test_i18ngrep.

> When test_i18ngrep fails it prints a message with the
> pattern and text that failed to match so it is easy to see where the
> test failed. If grep fails there is no output and so unless the test
> is run with "-x" it can be hard to see which command caused the test
> to fail.

We could rename test_i18ngrep to test_grep (and make test_i18ngrep
into a thin wrapper with warnings).

	test_grep -e must-exist file &&
	test_grep ! -e must-not-exist file