Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/2] cat-file: quote-format name in error when using -z

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 12:14:26 -0800

Toon Claes <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was asked to provide test coverage for both code paths that produce this kind
> of error message. Instead I've decided to ...

Is code refactoring a substitute for making sure we have adequate
test coverage?  If not, "Instead I've decided to" is a strange thing
to say at this point in the cover letter.

Relative to the previous round, you cleaned up the code by
introducing a helper function to show error messages, which gave us
reduced duplication of the code.  This is a very good thing and is
worth mentioning.

You however didn't get around to add adequate test coverage to the
resulting code, which was one thing that the previous round was
found lacking, and you can use help to improve these patches in this
area, to help them get merged.  Some of the error cases happen only
in a corrupt repository that lacks objects that are expected to be
there (e.g. a tree points at a blob in a non-lazy clone and blob is
missing), so such a test may have to deliberately corrupt the test
repository by removing .git/object/??/* files.  

Hopefully we'll hear from those who are willing to help.  Thanks for
working on this topic.