Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/1] Makefiles: change search through $(MAKEFLAGS) for GNU make 4.4

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 18:13:30 +0900

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> Which seems to have been followed-up by
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/;
> I.e. you sent a git-gui change to this ML.
>
> Or do you mean that it should have been sent to this ML, Pratyush should
> have pulled it, and Junio would have pulled upstream after that?

The destination of the e-mailed patch was fine.  I think what Dscho
is saying is that the patch for git-gui should have been split into
its own patch that is rooted at that project, i.e. the "diff --git"
line shouldn't have had "a/git-gui/Makefile" but just "a/Makefile"
if the patch were to modify the top-level Makefile of that project.

Then the git-gui maintainer picks up the patch (after possible
review iterations), applies to his or her tree, and tells me to pull
the result with "-Xsubtree=git-gui" option.

At least that was how the world worked, when we had an active
git-gui maintainer.  The same story goes for gitk part of the tree.

These days, neither subtree is very active and I am not sure how
much value we are getting out of this "clean separation".

Thanks.