Subject: Re: [PATCH] fsmonitor: eliminate call to deprecated FSEventStream function

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 09:58:47 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'd still prefer that our commit messages keep records of the fact
> that we stopped supporting certain older systems and what kind of
> due dilligence we did to decide it is a safe thing to do, which all
> already happened in this thread, thanks to you three discussing the
> issue.  I would be happier even with "Anything older than 2014 does
> not matter to Apple, and we follow that stance" than without any ;-)

I'd propose to have an extra paragraph at the end of the commit log
message.

1:  02a55477b6 ! 1:  df739b6087 fsmonitor: eliminate call to deprecated FSEventStream function
    @@ Commit message
         maintains the original blocking model by waiting on a mutex/condition
         variable pair while the hidden thread does all of the work.
     
    +    While the deprecated API used by the original were introduced in
    +    macOS 10.5 (Oct 2007), the API used by the updated code were
    +    introduced back in macOS 10.6 (Aug 2009) and has been available
    +    since then.  So this change _could_ break those who have happily
    +    been using 10.5 (if there were such people), but these two dates
    +    both predate the oldest versions of macOS Apple seems to support
    +    anyway, so we should be safe.
    +
         Signed-off-by: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
         Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>