Subject: Re: git log --since to not stop after first old commit?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 19:30:33 -0700

Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 10:51:34AM -0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> We could add a --since-as-filter= option or something, but then the
>> user needs to be careful when to stop (and digging down to the root
>> of the history, i.e. "never stop", may be an acceptable answer to
>> some projects).
>
> I sent a patch to add such an option (which picks the "never stop"
> behavior) on 1st, did you see that?
>
> If the idea is OK in principle, but the patch needs tweaking, please let
> me know.

As a single-shot change, "--since-as-filter" is certainly an easy to
explain approach of least resistance.

But when viewed from a higher level as a general design problem, I
am unsure if it is a good direction to go in.

Giving "--since" the "as-filter" variant sets a precedent, and
closes the door for a better UI that we can extend more generally
without having to add "--X-as-filter" for each and every conceivable
"--X" that is a traversal stopper into a filtering kind.