Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.36.0-rc0 - Build failure on NonStops

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 09:14:14 -0700

<[email-masked]> writes:

> On April 4, 2022 6:33 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>To: Randall S. Becker <[email-masked]>
>>Cc: Git Mailing List <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
>>Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.36.0-rc0 - Build failure on NonStops
>>
>>CSPRNG_METHOD?
>
> We already have
>
>         CSPRNG_METHOD = openssl
>
> In the config for NonStop. Should that not have worked?

In your original report, you said

>> I thought we did not have a direct reference to OpenSSL. What do
>> I need here to resolve this?

I misread it as "I did not directly ask to use OpenSSL---why am I
seeing breakage from RAND_bytes() that is an OpenSSL thing?", and
where my suggestion to look for CSPRNG_METHOD came from.

Downthread, folks seem to have figured out that OpenSSL support
failed to include a necessary header and link with libraries, while
I was offline yesterday, so hopefully all is well?

Since d073bdc6 (Merge branch 'bc/csprng-mktemps', 2022-02-11) the
CSPRNG code has been in 'master/main' and the topic was merged to
'next' much earlier, at 2e32375c (Merge branch 'bc/csprng-mktemps'
into next, 2022-02-04).  I was puzzled why it took this long for
your report to come, as I somehow thought you've been quite good at
reporting portability issues to your platform quickly, and was
wondering if we broke something between the time we merged it to
'next' and -rc0, but it seems that it was not working from the
beginning X-<.

Thanks.