Subject: Re: Exec upload-pack on remote with what parameters to get direntries.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:23:08 -0700

Bruno Albuquerque <[email-masked]> writes:

> With all that being said, I don' t think making it optional would be
> an issue so I have no strong feelings about this. I am fine with
> whatever is agreed to be the best approach.
>
>> I found myself wondering this when reading serve.c the other day,
>> i.e. why we have "always_advertise" for object-info, but it seemed
>> innocuous enough given how it's described in a2ba162cda2 (object-info:
>> support for retrieving object info, 2021-04-20).
> For what it is worth, The same change is now being reviewed in JGit
> and there the feature is conditionally enabled. But that was a
> side-effect of needing to deploy it to multiple servers before making
> the feature available to clients.

FWIW, I do not mind, and probably prefer if I think about it a bit
longer, to make it an opt-in feature, like all other capabilities
defined in the serve.c file.

Thanks.