Subject: Re: [PATCH] make: add INSTALL_STRIP variable

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:58:15 -0700

Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 23/08/21 22.55, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Perhaps.  One bad thing with the current "strip" arrangement is that
>> it is done in the built directory, and because "make install" would
>> blindly install whatever in the built directory, if you truly care
>> that you install unstripped binaries, you need to see if they are
>> stripped and rebuild them as needed, because "make strip" may or may
>> not have been done.  From that point of view, getting rid of the
>> current "make strip" and introducing either "make strip-installed"
>> ("we've installed things earlier---go strip them") or "make
>> install-stripped" ("we've built (or if we haven't please build them
>> first), now install them and strip them in the installed directory")
>> may make more sense.  And for that, any idea that came up in this
>> discussion that relies on the current "strip" target would not help.
>
> But often the installed directory (install prefix) is owned by root,
> so one has to `sudo make install-strip`, right?

Whatever you would need to do for "make install" would be necessary,
because you would be touching the system directories, so there isn't
anything new, I would think.