Subject: Re: What's cooking (draft for #4's issue this month)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 14:53:19 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The following patch fixes this, which
>> I'll include in my next reroll of this series.

Hmph, I am not sure if that is wise.  The offending "-1 no longer is
accepted" comes from a topic that is not even in 'next', so you may
not want to depend on it.

It turns out that the two-argument form that passes -1 to the
function we see below as the preimage in your fix-up patch comes
from my conflict resolution.  Your original has

	type_from_string_gently(v0, -1, 1);

and the other topic wants to make two unrelated changes to the API,
i.e. making -1 no longer a valid "please count, as it is pointless
to force callers to always count" option, and drops "is this asking
to be gentle?" parameter.  It may be better to just update what is
recorded in my conflict resolution machinery, without making it

	type_from_string_gently(v0, strlen(v0), 1);

as it would be necessary to adjust when both topics are merged
anyway.