Subject: Re: Regarding the depreciation of ssh+git/git+ssh protocols

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 12:46:56 -0700

Mark Lodato <[email-masked]> writes:

> The common thread is that systems need a way to uniquely identify a git
> repository or some object therein. I believe this means some combination
> of:
>
> - VCS type (git)
> - Transport location (e.g. https://github.com/git/git)
> - Ref (e.g. master)
> - Resolved commit ID (e.g. 48bf2fa8bad054d66bd79c6ba903c89c704201f7)
> - Path (e.g. contrib/diff-highlight)
> - (possibly) Clone depth

Nice.  So there is no reason to expect that these downstream systems
can sanely force various VCS systems that the notation they use for
"transport location" would identify what VCS type uses that
location.  All the other details (like refs, which may other VCS
many not even have) other than VCS type depend on the VCS used.

Thanks.