Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] builtin/blame: darken redundant line information

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 08:25:29 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> When using git-blame lots of lines contain redundant information, for
> example in hunks that consist of multiple lines, the metadata (commit name,
> author, timezone) are repeated. A reader may not be interested in those,
> so darken them. The darkening is not just based on hunk, but actually
> takes the previous lines content for that field to compare to.
>
> Signed-off-by: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
> ---

Not about "blame", but I was trying the --color-moved stuff on
Brandon's "create config.h" patch and found its behaviour somewhat
different from what I recall we discussed.  I thought that the
adjacentbounds mode was invented to dim (i.e. not attract undue
attention) to most of the moved lines, but highlight only the
boundary of moved blocks, so I expected most of the new and old
lines in that patch would be shown in the "context" color, except
for the boundary between two blocks of removed lines that have gone
to different location (and similarly two blocks of new lines that
have come from different location) would be painted in oldmoved and
newmoved colors and their alternatives.  Instead I see all old and
new lines that are moved painted in these colors, without any
dimming.

Is my expectation off?