Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/5] Better ref summary alignment in "git fetch"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 16:21:50 -0700

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy  <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure if we should bring back "{ -> origin/}foo" format. I can
> do it if someone still wants it.
> ...
> +In compact output mode, specified with configuration variable
> +fetch.output, if either entire `<from>` or `<to>` is found in the
> +other string, it will be substituted with `*` in the other string. For
> +example, `master -> origin/master` becomes `master -> origin/*`.

What is the desired property we would want to see in the end result
of this series (or possible replacement of it)?  Easier to read by
humans?  Cut-and-paste friendliness?  Alignment?

I think the largest objection against "{ -> origin/}master" was that
it wasn't cut-and-paste ready.  There might have been other attempts
during the rerolls leading to this v5, but I have to say that what
we ended up with, "master -> origin/*", is no more cut-and-paste
friendly than "{ -> origin/}master".

I personally do not care much about cut-and-paste friendliness, and
I see the cover-letter is titled with "alignment", but if the
alignment is the sole issue, I would have to say "master -> origin/*"
is such a great improvement over "{ -> origin/}master".

So, I do not see strong reason to reject this, but I am not enthused
by the topic, either.