Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 5/6] send-email: --in-reply-to=<file> populate header fields

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 11:23:50 -0700

Samuel GROOT <[email-masked]> writes:

> +if ($initial_reply_to && -f $initial_reply_to) {
> +	my $error = validate_patch($initial_reply_to);

This call is wrong, isn't it?

You are not going to send out the message you are responding to (the
message may not even be a patch), and you do not want to die with an
error message that says "patch contains an overlong line".

> +	die "fatal: $initial_reply_to: $error\nwarning: no patches were sent\n"
> +		if $error;
> +
> +	open my $fh, "<", $initial_reply_to or die "can't open file $initial_reply_to";
> +	my $mail = Git::parse_email($fh);
> +	close $fh;

	my $header = Git::parse_email_header($fh);

perhaps?

> +	my $initial_sender = $sender || $repoauthor || $repocommitter || '';
> +
> +	my $prefix_re = "";
> +	my $subject_re = $mail->{"subject"}[0];
> +	if ($subject_re =~ /^[^Re:]/) {
> +		$prefix_re = "Re: ";
> +	}
> +	$initial_subject = $prefix_re . $subject_re;

I am not sure what the significance of the fact that the subject
happens to begin with a letter other than 'R', 'e', or ':'.

Did you mean to do something like this instead?

	my $subject = $mail->{"subject"}[0];
	$subject =~ s/^(re:\s*)+//i; # strip "Re: Re: ..."
        $initial_subject = "Re: $subject";

instead?

By the way, this is a good example why your "unfold" implementation
in 4/6 is unwieldy for the caller.  Imagine a rather long subject
that is folded, i.e.

	To: Samuel
        Subject: Help! I am having a trouble running git-send-email
            correctly.
	Message-id: <...>