Subject: Re: [PATCH jk/prune-mtime] prune: close directory earlier during loose-object directory traversal

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 11:37:54 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 07:43:01PM +0200, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>
>> 27e1e22d (prune: factor out loose-object directory traversal, 2014-10-16)
>> introduced a new function for_each_loose_file_in_objdir() with a helper
>> for_each_file_in_obj_subdir(). The latter calls callbacks for each file
>> found during a directory traversal and finally also a callback for the
>> directory itself.
>> 
>> git-prune uses the function to clean up the object directory. In
>> particular, in the directory callback it calls rmdir(). On Windows XP,
>> this rmdir call fails, because the directory is still open while the
>> callback is called. Close the directory before calling the callback.
>
> Makes sense, and the patch looks good to me. Sorry for breaking things
> on Windows.
>
> Acked-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I noticed that we do not
have this patch in our tree yet.  I'll queue to 'pu' for now lest I
forget.  If I missed a good argument or concensus against the change
please let me know, otherwise I'll fast track the change to 2.7 final