Subject: Re: [PATCH] push: don't show Done with --quiet --porcelain

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 10:13:20 -0700

Josh Rabinowitz <[email-masked]> writes:

> Change so 'git push --porcelain --quiet' emits no text when there
> is no error.  This makes the --quiet option here more consistent with
> other git commands.
>
> Signed-off-by: josh rabinowitz <[email-masked]>
> ---

The rationale given in 77555854 (git-push: make git push --porcelain
print "Done", 2010-02-26) does not apply when "--quiet" is in use,
because we do give the rejection notice to the standard output even
under "--quiet", so the calling script can tell between the case
where we couldn't reach the remote side (i.e. no rejection notice)
and the case where we reached them and they rejected (i.e. they will
tell us why the push was rejected) when "git push" reports a failure
with its exit status.

For that matter, I am not sure if this "Done" introduced by 77555854
is really needed even when "--quiet" is not in effect.

In either case, saying "Done" after talking to the remote end
already is an established part of the output meant for Porcelain
when "--porcelain" option is in use.  So I do not think changing it
is a good idea.  Existing scripts that read from "--porcelain" output
would be expecting the line to be there.

>  transport.c | 2 +-
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>
> diff --git a/transport.c b/transport.c
> index 40692f8..0021b3f 100644
> --- a/transport.c
> +++ b/transport.c
> @@ -1209,7 +1209,7 @@ int transport_push(struct transport *transport,
>                 transport_update_tracking_ref(transport->remote, ref, verbose);
>         }
>
> -       if (porcelain && !push_ret)
> +       if (!quiet && porcelain && !push_ret)
>             puts("Done");
>         else if (!quiet && !ret && !transport_refs_pushed(remote_refs))
>             fprintf(stderr, "Everything up-to-date\n");
> --
> 2.3.2 (Apple Git-55)