Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] gitweb: Don't pass --full-history to git-log(1)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 14:45:20 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm reminded of the make(1) story about not supporting spaces instead
> of tabs because the guy already had a few dozen users.
>
> We could have changed this in 2008, when Git already had much fewer
> users,

Heh, in 2008 we already had more than a few dozen.

I think

 (1) It is perfectly OK to add an UI option to let the web visitor
     choose between simplified and full history at runtime,
     optionally with a new gitweb.conf option to let the project
     owner choose which one is the default;

 (2) It is also OK to add gitweb.conf option to let the project/site
     choose between the two, optionally allowing the web visitor to
     override it with something like (1).

Anything else would not give the same out-of-the-box experience and
would probably not fly well.