Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] test-lib.sh: fix color support when tput needs ~/.terminfo

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 13:15:30 -0700

Richard Hansen <[email-masked]> writes:

> We could test if the variable is set first (test -n "${foo+set}"), at
> the cost of a bit more complexity.
>
>> I do not mind it so much as you have
>> it, but it does mean adding a new field needs to update two spots.
>
> I also don't like the duplicate list of color types, and I considered
> doing something similar to what you suggested, but I decided against it.
> I'm a bit worried about bizarre syntax errors or code execution if
> say_color() is used improperly.  ('eval' with uncontrolled variables
> makes me nervous.)

I originally had the same reaction to your use of `eval` (with or
without being guarded by the case to limit to known 5 ones).  But
the uncontrolled-ness of this use of eval is to the same degree of
uncontrolled-ness of any test_expect_{success,failure} scriptlet,
so...

I like this "save to variables instead of using tput" approach very
much either way.  Well done.

Thanks.