Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFCv2 1/2] git-rebase -i: add command "drop" to remove a commit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 09:39:53 -0700

Galan Rémi  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Instead of removing a line to remove the commit, you can use the
> command "drop" (just like "pick" or "edit"). It has the same effect as
> deleting the line (removing the commit) except that you keep a visual
> trace of your actions, allowing a better control and reducing the
> possibility of removing a commit by mistake.
>
> Signed-off-by: Galan Rémi <[email-masked]>
> ---

Matthieu, is this part of your class project?

I vaguely recall that your school wants your sign-off to release
patches to us or something like that, and that I saw some other
patches came with your sign-off, so I am being curious.

> @@ -505,7 +506,7 @@ do_next () {
>  	rm -f "$msg" "$author_script" "$amend" || exit
>  	read -r command sha1 rest < "$todo"
>  	case "$command" in
> -	"$comment_char"*|''|noop)
> +	"$comment_char"*|''|noop|drop|d)
>  		mark_action_done
>  		;;
>  	pick|p)

Is this sufficient?

If you are going to do something in 2/2 that relies on the format of
this line being correct (as opposed to "noop" or "#" that can have
any garbage on the remainder of the line), wouldn't you want to at
least check $sha1 is sensible?