Subject: Re: [PATCH] versionsort: support reorder prerelease suffixes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 00:52:27 -0700

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>> +versionsort.prereleaseSuffix::
>>>> +    When version sort is used in linkgit:git-tag[1], prerelease
>>>> +    tags (e.g. "1.0-rc1") may appear after the main release
>>>> +    "1.0". By specifying the suffix "-rc" in this variable,
>>>> +    "1.0-rc1" will appear before "1.0". One variable assignment
>>>> +    per suffix.
> ...
> How about..
>
> ".. "1.0-rc1" will appear before "1.0".  This key can be specified
> multiple times, one for each suffix. The order of suffixes in the
> config file determines the sorting order (e.g. if "-pre" appears
> before "-rc" in the config file then 1.0-preXX is sorted before
> 1.0-rcXX). The sorting order between different suffixes is undefined
> if they are in multiple config files"

OK. Later we might resurrect that "How would we spell 'reset this
variable' in our configuration file? Is that even a good idea in
the first place?" topic and at that time the last sentence may have
to change to make it more useful, but because we are not there yet,
the above would be a reasonable description.