Subject: Re: [PATCH] submodule: Fix documentation of update subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:45:31 -0800

Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yup, but we should also mention '--merge' and '--rebase' here.

This has been sitting in the Stalled pile for quite a while and I am
getting tired of waiting.  How does this look?

-- >8 --
From: Michal Sojka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 11:09:51 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] submodule: clarify documentation for update subcommand

e6a1c43a (document submdule.$name.update=none option for gitmodules,
2012-05-10) meant to say "Unlike the case where your .update
configuration is set to either 'rebase' or 'merge', when it is set
to 'none', the tip of the submodule would never move.  You can use
the --checkout option if you want the contents of the submodule to
be updated to some other commit."

But the resulting text made it sound as if using "--checkout" would
have no effect when .update configuration is set to 'rebase' or
'merge', which was misleading.  In fact, with the "--checkout"
option, the tip of the submodule moves to the exact commit that is
recorded in the superproject tree, regardless of .update
configuration.

Signed-off-by: Michal Sojka <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-submodule.txt | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-submodule.txt b/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
index 8e6af65..9bfcdf5 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
@@ -158,7 +158,8 @@ update::
 	checkout the commit specified in the index of the containing repository.
 	This will make the submodules HEAD be detached unless `--rebase` or
 	`--merge` is specified or the key `submodule.$name.update` is set to
-	`rebase`, `merge` or `none`. `none` can be overridden by specifying
+	`rebase`, `merge` or `none`. The configuration can be overridden by
+	specifying `--rebase`, `--merge`, or
 	`--checkout`. Setting the key `submodule.$name.update` to `!command`
 	will cause `command` to be run. `command` can be any arbitrary shell
 	command that takes a single argument, namely the sha1 to update to.
-- 
2.3.0-301-g71e72fe