Subject: Re: [Opinions] Integrated tickets

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 10:45:16 -0800

Fredrik Gustafsson <[email-masked]> writes:

> So my question is:
>
> what's your opinions on building an integrated ticket system on top of git?
>
> and (maybe mostly for Junio)
>
> Would such system possible be included in git.git?
>
> TL;DR;
> Is an integrated ticket system something for git?

Integrated?  Not really, unless we already have a clear winner in
the marketplace that we can just ship in contrib/ or something, and
even then, the Git ecosystem is now rich enough and the userbase
strong enough that having something in contrib/ adds much less value
than additional burden of having to keep up with the upstream, and
user confusion coming from possible version skew from the upstream.
It used to make a lot of sense to ship Git with things like gitweb
and gitk when we were trying to gain momentum, but it is no longer
2005 ;-).  Even kernel.org does not run gitweb anymore.

This is a tangent, but I personally do not think "ticket" meshes
very well with "commit".  If you already know which commit was
problematic, why are you annotating it with a ticket before
reverting it first?