Subject: Re: git reflog --date

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:21:16 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> John Tapsell <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> For me, writing "git reflog @{now}"  is a lot less intuitive than "git
>> reflog --date"
>>
>> Currently the top google search for this question is here:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17369254/is-there-a-way-to-cause-git-reflog-to-show-a-date-alongside-each-entry
>>
>> Which doesn't mention "@{now}"   at all.
>
> I would say that a site where cluelesses attempt to lead other
> cluelesses is not the best source of information ;-), but that tells
> us that either our docs are not read by people or they do not give
> necessary information to them clearly enough.

And it turns out it is a little bit of both.  We have this shown in
"git log --help":

    -g::
    --walk-reflogs::
    ...
    By default, 'commit@\{Nth}' notation is
    used in the output.  When the starting commit is specified as
    'commit@\{now}', output also uses 'commit@\{timestamp}' notation
    instead.

and "git reflog --help" says that "It is an alias for git log -g
--abbrev-commit --pretty=oneline; see git-log(1)." in fairly early
part of its description.