Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Apr 2014, #09; Tue, 29)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 11:56:18 -0700

John Keeping <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 05:01:59PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> ...
>> Another thing to keep in mind is that we need to ensure that we give
>> a good way for these third-party tools to integrate well with the
>> core Git tools to form a single toolchest for the users.  I would
>> love to be able to do
>> 
>>     $ (cd git.git && make install)
>>     $ (cd git-imerge.git && make install)
>> 
>> and then say "git imerge", "git --help imerge", etc.  The same for
>> the remote helpers that we may be splitting out of my tree into
>> their own stand-alone projects.
>
> This can already work given suitable installation.  With
> git-integration[1] I can type `git help integration` and it shows me the
> man page in the same way that `git help commit` does.  When I manually
> linked the HTML file to the right place `git help -w integration` worked
> as well.

That "when I manually" part is what I meant by "we give a good way
for these third-party tools" above, and "make it really easy to
install these third-party tools" in the remaining part of the
message you are responding to.

> I think this is enough...

Thanks.

The reason why I CC'ed Michael was primarily because I thought you
were not one of those third-party tools maintainers (and secondarily
I am a fairly big fan of imerge), but it is good to hear your
opinion as another third-party provider.  Your git-integrate might
turn into something I could augment my workflow with with some
additions.  What is missing (I only read the full manual page at
http://johnkeeping.github.io/git-integration/git-integration.html)
to support my workflow seems to be:

 - specifying a merge strategy per branch being merged;
 - support evil merges or picking a fix-up commit;
 - leaving an empty commit only to leave comment in the history.

and until that happens, I'll keep using the Reintegrate script found
in my 'todo' branch.