Subject: Re: git-note -C changes commit type?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:06:46 -0800

Johan Herland <[email-masked]> writes:

> There is currently no way the "git notes" commands will allow you to
> store the 3d7de37 commit object directly as a note. There is also
> (AFAICS) no easy workaround (git fast-import could've been a
> workaround if it did not already require the first N/notemodify
> argument to be a blob object). The best alternative, off the top of my
> head, would be to write your own program using the notes.h API to
> manipulate the notes tree directly (or - suboptimally - use other
> low-level Git operations to do the same).

Even worse. I do not think such a non-blob object in the notes tree
does not participate in the reachability at all, so you won't be
able to fetch "refs/notes/whatever" and expect to get a useful
result.  I do not think storing the raw bits of commit object as a
blob in the notes tree is useful behaviour, either.  The command
probably should refuse to get anything non-blob via that option.

Perhaps the notes entry should just note the object name of whatever
commit it wants to refer to in a *blob*?