Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-import.c: always honor the filename case

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 09:21:29 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> [+cc Joshua Jensen, who wrote 50906e0]
>
> On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 07:13:04AM -0600, Reuben Hawkins wrote:
>
>> fast-import should not use strncmp_icase.
>
> I am not sure of that. My gut feeling is that core.ignorecase is
> completely about the _filesystem_, and that git should generally be
> case-sensitive internally.

I agree; if squashing mixed cases into a single canonical one is
desired in one use case (like Joshua described in $gmane/200597),
that should have been done as an optional feature, not by default
(ideally, it should probably be done in a filter between exporters
and the fast-import, I would think).

> [1] I am mostly trying to connect people on various sides of the
>     discussion here. So take my "gut feeling" above with a grain of
>     salt, as it does not come from experience nor thinking too hard
>     about the issue.

Thanks; that is exactly what is expected of project elders ;-)