Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 4/4] format-patch: add commitListFormat config

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2026 10:00:07 -0700

Mirko Faina <[email-masked]> writes:

> Using "--cover-letter" we can tell format-patch to generate a cover
> letter, in this cover letter there's a list of commits included in the
> patch series and the format is specified by the "--cover-letter-format"
> option. Would be useful if this format could be configured from the
> config file instead of always needing to pass it from the command line.
>
> Teach format-patch how to read the format spec for the cover letter from
> the config files. The variable it should look for is called
> format.commitListFormat, it accepts the same values as the option
> "--cover-letter-format".

If we are calling this commitListFormat, we would want to name the
command line option to match it more closely.  Doing so would have
an added benefit that tab completion on the command line becomes
easier to use, because --cover-<TAB> would expand to --cover-letter
uniquely and we do not have to force the user choose between
"--cover-letter" and "--cover-letter-format=".

Perhaps "--commit-list-format=<format>" or something?