Subject: Re: Would it make sense to add a commit.signOff config?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2025 11:29:20 +0900

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

>> diff --git c/Documentation/signoff-option.adoc w/Documentation/signoff-option.adoc
>> index cddfb225d1..0b869dfbe4 100644
>> --- c/Documentation/signoff-option.adoc
>> +++ w/Documentation/signoff-option.adoc
>> @@ -16,3 +16,15 @@ endif::git-commit[]
>>  +
>>  The `--no-signoff` option can be used to countermand an earlier `--signoff`
>>  option on the command line.
>> ++
>> +As it makes it harder to argue against one who tells the court "the
>> +log message of the commit ends with a Signed-off-by trailer by person
>> +X, but it is very plausible that it was done by inertia without person
>> +X really intending to certify what DCO says, hence the Signed-off-by
>> +trailer is meaningless", if we add more publicized ways to add
>> +sign-off automatically, Git does not (and will not) have a
>> +configuration variable to enable the `--signoff` command line option
>> +it by default.
>> ++
>> +There exists `format.signoff`, but that is a historical mistake, and
>> +it is not an excuse to pile on more mistakes of the same kind on top.
>
> This feels like it's missing context (it'll take the reader a while to
> figure out why the paragraphs are there and that the two are related),

Very true.  It may be sufficient to leave this part unmodified,
keep the updates to gitfaq document, and do nothing else.