Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/5] doc: git rebase: clarify arguments syntax

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2025 14:09:18 -0700

"Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Julia Evans <[email-masked]>
>
> This removes the explanation of `git rebase <upstream> <branch>`, since
> it was already explained above that it's shorthand for `git switch
> <branch> && git rebase <upstream>`

We usually do not say "This [commit] does X".  In this particular
case, since the objective is so obvious, we do not necessarily have
to follow the whole "summarize the current state, explain why it is
problematic, and then tell somebody sitting in front of a keyboard
to change the code in this and that way to make it improve" 9 yards;
just tweaking it into

	Remove the redundant explanation of `git ...`, since it was
	already explained earlier.

would be sufficient.

Although the proposed log message does not mention it, I actually
like the other change in this patch, that rephrases the "if you
don't specify...", even better.  The addtional "to rebase onto" does
make the description clearer.

Thanks.

> Signed-off-by: Julia Evans <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/git-rebase.adoc | 7 +------
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 6 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/Documentation/git-rebase.adoc b/Documentation/git-rebase.adoc
> index a93c616f38b1..e700b92e35ac 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-rebase.adoc
> +++ b/Documentation/git-rebase.adoc
> @@ -59,12 +59,7 @@ one of these things:
>  
>     git rebase --skip
>  
> -
> -If `<branch>` is specified, `git rebase` will perform an automatic
> -`git switch <branch>` before doing anything else.  Otherwise
> -it remains on the current branch.
> -
> -If `<upstream>` is not specified, the upstream configured in
> +If you don't specify an `<upstream>` to rebase onto, the upstream configured in
>  `branch.<name>.remote` and `branch.<name>.merge` options will be used (see
>  linkgit:git-config[1] for details) and the `--fork-point` option is
>  assumed.  If you are currently not on any branch or if the current