Subject: Re: Show skipped commit message after rebase conflict?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2025 15:03:33 -0700

Cameron Steffen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sometimes I run into a conflict in a rebase and I end up resolving the
> conflict by removing all the changes. Then when I run `git rebase
> --continue`, the current commit is skipped and the rebase continues
> normally. Would it be possible to emit a message showing that the
> commit was skipped in this case? It isn't very obvious to me in my
> workflow that that is what occurred.

I do not know what level of verbosity is needed to grab attention by
the end user, but something like this might be a good starting
point?

Totally untested, and there may be implications (like, control
passes this point in different situations where the messages is not
warranted).

I'll pick a few people from 

    git shortlog --since=2.years --no-merges sequencer.c

based on their contribution to the file (not counting the internal
implementation changes) and Cc them to see if they have ideas.

Thanks.

 sequencer.c | 2 ++
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git c/sequencer.c w/sequencer.c
index 67e4310edc..677d6105dd 100644
--- c/sequencer.c
+++ w/sequencer.c
@@ -5369,6 +5369,8 @@ static int commit_staged_changes(struct repository *r,
 			goto out;
 		}
 
+		warning(_("omitting a step that has become empty"));
+
 		if (!final_fixup) {
 			ret = 0;
 			goto out;